Saturday, December 19, 2009

Indoor Update - December 21, 2009

Titan Indoor Track Bulletin - Dec 21, 2009

FIRST MEET IDEA- bad one.
Turned out to be a bad idea. As I looked a little closer at things, I decided we hadn’t better attempt the January 1st meet. It may violate the state track bylaws and jeopardize the eligibility of anyone participating.

SENIORS- IMPORTANT
Some of you may be considering running in college. That’s a great idea!!! What you need to do is make sure everything is taken care of with the NCAA requirements. Check out the following web site so you will know if you have to take additional classes 2nd semester to be eligible:
https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/common/

WORKOUTS- Dec 21-27
I will open the Weight Room and Fitness Center on December 21st and 29th at 8:00 am. If you want to lift or cross train, show up ready to work out. Try to follow the workouts as outlined on your Indoor Info handout.

RUNNING OUTSIDE
If you dress correctly, you can run outside even while the weather is quite cold. Dress in layers (spandex, Under Armor, turtle neck, sweats, etc.). Wear a beanie- 25-30% of the heat loss is through your head. Wear gloves, etc. I’ve run when it’s been as cold as -5 with no problems. If you have asthma, the air quality and cold may hamper your running. Make sure you are running on a secure surface. Don’t run along the side of the road if it’s icy. Running on fresh snow is easy on the legs- try out the “trail” that runs along the bluff. Keep up the mileage, but be careful.

USU CLINICS (January 8/9)
If you are interested in going to the USU camps (hurdles, jumps, sprints or throws) and didn’t pick up the information, let me know and I’ll email it to you. I really want hurdlers and throwers to attend. I would also like most sprinters who may be interested in the hurdles to go up to the hurdle camp Friday night, stay over, and go to the sprint camp on Saturday. I will pay for the motel room.

ATTIRE
I’m going to order some warmup pants. They are a unisex style from Brooks and come with side pockets, leg zippers, etc.. They are the type of pant that most college athletes wear. They normally sell for $60 but I can get them for about $40 if I order enough. The only color they come in is black. If you are interested, let me know and give me an idea of what size you would want.
Also, for immediate sale. I have some of the warmups we bought last year for Track. I will sell the tops for $25 and the pants for $20. The sizes I have for tops are: XL (4), L (1), M (2), S (1). Pant sizes are: XL (1) and S (2). I also have some Track hoodies left that I will sell for $25. The only sizes I have are XXL (1), XL (2), L (2) and S (1). I also have several styles of shirts that you can buy for $10 for cotton and $15 for dri-fit. If interested, check with me when we get back to school. I can show you what I have.

WEB SITE
Reminder of the web site. It contains most of the Indoor information as well as Indoor and Outdoor records, performance lists, etc. www.titantrack2010.blogspot.com.

UPCOMING SCHEDULE
Jan 5 - Deadline for USU Camp $$/Waiver
Jan 8/9 - USU Camps
Jan 16 - USU Indoor Meet
Jan 15/16 - BYU Indoor Meet
Jan 22/23 - WSU Indoor Meet
Feb 5/6 - UHSTCA Indoor Championships
Feb 18-20- Simplot Games

GREAT QUOTE
Lukas Verzbicas won the National Foot Locker Cross Country Championship last week- the first sophomore boy to do so. This is a quote from his coach- before the race. I’ve included a link to the entire article. Good quote, good ideas that we can all benefit from.
"Lukas does all of the things others are unwilling to do," O'Malley said. "Therefore, when it comes time for the starting line he has a powerful understanding of his ability. While most at a starting line are questioning whether they are ready or have done all that they can do to be ready, Lukas has answers. He eats flawlessly, he sleeps right, he trains right, and he prepares mentally right. So on race day, he is right.”

http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/macey/1928031,120909sptmacey.article

No comments: